In the WEEKS since I wrote, I’ve been hard hard hard at work on the paintings, the crates, name tags for the Dallas Stair Climb group, and more. In the end I did a little or a lot of work on 61 paintings. Before on the left, after on the right:
The differences in the wood’s color are the differences in the 2 scans. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.
Throughout the yearlong tour with the NFFF, I continued to see better reference pictures of these men that showed me detail I didn’t have when I began. As an artist, I wanted to “fix them.” (Technically it is still possible because they haven’t had their final varnish.)
Plus, painting these men changed how I paint. And how I see.
There are also a few where I needed to correct their unit, add a “Jr,” or (aarrgh!) correct the spelling on their names:
These updated paintings will replace their earlier incarnations on the website before the fall. It will probably happen over the course of several weeks.